[HEADSUP] New framework options aka optionng

Kevin Oberman kob6558 at gmail.com
Wed May 30 21:33:37 UTC 2012

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 2:23 PM, Doug Barton <dougb at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On 5/30/2012 3:33 AM, Vitaly Magerya wrote:
>> Folks, when moving forward with optionsng, do we want to convert
>> NOPORTDOCS and NOPORTEXAMPLES to options everywhere?
>
> Absolutely not. By far the majority of users benefit from installing the
> docs and examples. Users who don't want them can continue to do what
> they've always done, configure it in make.conf. Adding OPTIONS for these
> would only cause confusion.

I'll go one further and suggest that the vast majority who don't want
these features are building specialized systems and they know very
well what they are doing. A global setting for these would be
desirable, though, as someone building a specialized distribution for,
say, an embedded system, will want no docs or examples for any port. I
suspect it is ALMOST always an all or nothing issue, not per port.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558 at gmail.com