Options name, descriptions and consistency

Kevin Oberman kob6558 at gmail.com
Wed May 30 20:35:58 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 11:33 PM, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt at freebsd.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On of the reasons of bsd.options.desc.mk is to be able to share common options
> and descriptions, to have better consistency between ports and to have general
> meaning descriptions that make more sense, has anyone can improve the
> description of an option.
>
> about consistency, I can already see that some options are set in double just
> with different name, one of our goal now should be to avoid it is not necessary
> and have the option name that make more sense. If I have a look at it now, what
> I can see is:
> AAC_DESC?=      Enable support for aac/mp4
> MP4_DESC?=      Enable support for mp4

Hmm. I don't understand why one should assume that aac should pull in
mp4 or the other way around. I may want to generate plain AAC (m4a)
audio files with no mp4 use and I may want to generate an mp4 file
using a codec other than AAC. The standard support several codecs,
though AAC is clearly dominant and I suspect is universal in
commercial DVDs. But I have many mp4s with (yuck) MP2 audio as is
generated by my HD component video to computer interface.

It's going to be really hard to deal with these sorts of things. But
being able to set for IPv6 support once instead of per port would be
very nice. I also suspect that multimedia is a particularly ugly case
for this sort of thing.

> Both added by me :)
>
> In this particular case, I think only one is useful
> same goes for;
>
> ID3TAG_DESC?=   Support ID3 v1/v2 tags
> ID3_DESC?=      Enable support for id3 tags

Here I think you are right. I can't imagine a case where they are not,
though my imagination might be lacking a bit.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558 at gmail.com