Request to review: print/texlive-install

Nikola Lečić nikola.lecic at anthesphoria.net
Mon May 28 16:04:07 UTC 2012

On Mon, 28 May 2012 09:06:18 -0500, Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
>> 2. fontconfig is a run dependency as well, xetex needs it to run.
>
> Thanks.  What about perl - is that a run dependency as well?

Yes, it is, install-tl and tlmgr are perl scripts.

>> 3. TeX Live ships with its own portable FreeBSD i386/amd64 xz and wget
>> binaries and install-tl/tlmgr use them. They will not work on FreeBSD<7.
>> Therefore, it could be possible that you need to add xz and wget as
>> build/run dependencies on FreeBSD<7 and on architectures other than
>> i386/amd64, although I haven't checked this.
>
> I won't worry about FreeBSD<7.  They are end of line anyway.

Ok.

>> 4. Since the aim of your port is not to create portable binaries, there
>> is no reason not to build xindy. You can freely add '--enable-xindy
>> CLISP=/path to the clisp binary/', and lang/clisp as a build dependency.
>
> I was looking at the online docs of xindy.  Is the version of xindy
> that comes with texlive out of date?  The online docs don't match the
> program that comes with xindy.

Many other programs are out of date, TeX Live 2011 was released a year
ago. The versions distributed with TL releases match together well. The
safest options for TL2011 users is to use xindy distributed with TL2011.

More notes/questions:

* You could add x11-toolkits/p5-Tk as a run dependency. tlmgr has a
nice GUI; actually it's very inconvenient to use it without gui.

* Since this port leaves full TeX Live system installed, users should
use tlmgr to update their packages and scripts. Two questions in this
respect:

a) what will happen with /var/db/ports/ info?

b) it's not a good idea to run tlmgr gui as root. Maybe to offer an
option with SUID Bit, as in sysutils/xcdroast?

--
Nikola Lečić = Никола Лечић
fingerprint : FEF3 66AF C90E EDC3 D878  7CDC 956D F4AB A377 1C9B