pkgng problems

Ivan Voras ivoras at freebsd.org
Wed May 16 11:13:33 UTC 2012

Hi,

I attempted to try pkgng, and failed:

1) I would like to request some documentation be added in the
ports-mgmt/pkg port, to the pkg-message file, instructing to set up the
pkg.conf (by copying the pkg.conf.sample file) before starting to do
anything with pkgng. I would also like to request this same
documentation added to the FAQ at
https://github.com/pkgng/pkgng/blob/master/FAQ.md#0, and that the error
message "pkg: PACKAGESITE is not defined" be changed to e.g. "pkg:
PACKAGESITE is not defined - pkg.conf not found" or something similar
indicating how to solve the problem.

2) The pkg.conf.sample file does not contain a list of valid repos:

repos:
  default : http://example.org/pkgng/
  repo1 : http://somewhere.org/pkgng/repo1/
  repo2 : http://somewhere.org/pkgng/repo2/

... and apparently this makes running "pkg update" impossible as it
exits with the completely useless error message "Broken pipe". At least
this error message should be changed.

I would like to request that pkg.conf.sample contain valid repos by
default. While at it, where on the web is the list of valid repos and
why is the documentation (README and the .sample conf file) not
referencing it instead of specifying the abstract "example.org" addresses?

(I know pkgng is not finished, but this way you are not going to get any
enthusiastic testers...)