BUILD_DEPENDS= RUN_DEPENDS=

Bryan Drewery bryan at shatow.net
Mon May 14 23:32:46 UTC 2012

On 05/14/2012 06:25 PM, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> On May 14, 2012, at 4:13 PM, Bryan Drewery wrote:
>> I was trying to append to these in my /etc/make.conf and found that a
>> large (thousands) number of ports are using = instead of +=, thus
>> destroying any user-supplied depends.
>
> Yes.  I think this may even be intentional on the part of the various
> port maintainers, but the notion of user-supplied additional dependencies
> is interesting.  :-)

Yes I have that concern as well. The risk may far outweigh the benefits
here.

>> The use case for wanting to do this is to force devel/ccache to be a
>> build dependency on all ports, for package building. Or to force in a
>> particular library along with LDFLAGS into particular ports. This is
>> achievable by modifying bsd.local.mk, but is not ideal.
>
> Why do you need ccache added to the build dependencies to use it?
> Can't you just change CC/C++?

For package building. I'm using a package building script that removes
all packages before building the next, then only installs the build
depends before building the next. Modifying CC is separate - need ccache
installed first. Of course, I could update the package building tool to
just install ccache first, which I will likely do anyway.

It's just 1 example. Off the top of my head I can not think of other
specific cases.

Thanks for the input,
Bryan Drewery