Can't get hplip to work on HP LaserJet 1212nf MFP

Edwin L. Culp W. edwinlculp at gmail.com
Mon May 14 16:41:32 UTC 2012

2012/5/13 Thomas Mueller <mueller23 at insightbb.com>

> I built hplip from the ports on both the old and new computer, FreeBSD 8.2
> i386 and 9.0 amd64 respectively, and can't get either of them to work,
> either on USB or Ethernet.
>
> I commented out "device ulpt" in the kernel config file, but got "No
> devices found" in the USB setup, even though the printer was recognized by
> system messages and usbconfig.  When I connected the printer on the new
> computer via USB, ulpt.ko automatically loaded (how to prevent that?), but
> I got the same "No devices found" even when ulpt.ko was renamed to ulpt2.ko
> so it would not be found and loaded (a kludge).
>
> The printer was found when connected by Ethernet, but the binary plugin
> installation failed consistently, some complaint of /etc/issue or
> hp-plugin-install not found.
>
> By way of comparison, I also built hplip3 from pkgsrc in NetBSD 5.1_STABLE
> amd64; this was actually pkgsrc-wip (http://pkgsrc-wip.sourceforge.net).
>  That was version 3.11.1.  I got "No devices found" both with USB and
> Ethernet; could still try again with Ethernet, getting the printer IP
> address from either dmesg.boot or logging in to wireless router, though
> this is a slender chance.
>
> hplip versions for FreeBSD are 3.11.1 on the old computer and 3.11.5 on
> the new computer.  I do intend to update my 9.0-STABLE installation on the
> new computer and then portupgrade or portmaster this and other ports, but
> fear more of the same frustration.  Would I need to exclude ulpt module as
> well as kernel config "device ulpt" line, or can ulpt.ko be prevented from
> automatically loading, or would that make no difference?
>
> Are HP printers especially recalcitrant to setting up, or especially
> USB-quirky, as opposed to other brands such as Lexmark, Samsung, Brother,
> Xerox and Canon?
>
> Other things I intend to try are with Wine; I also intend to try on Linux,
> possibly on NetBSD if I can get that to install and run on the new
> computer.  Linux is home base for hplip and much or most other open-source
> (quasi-)Unix software.
>
> Tom

I have the exact same model sitting here with me and have been trying to
get it to work again.  I can't really understand why it doesn't.  It did
work for me perfectly for a couple of months and then my  computer's
motherboard died and after the change, I haven't been able to get it to
work again.  It finds its IP through dhcp and but I can't get it to react.
My previous email to the list is at:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2012-April/240116.html

We should be able to get it going.   I haven't looked at it for a couple of
weeks (Just long enough to have forgotten what I have done) so I'll try
again from zero and let you know if I have any luck.

ed