portsdb -U fails

Andrea Venturoli ml at netfence.it
Mon May 7 07:39:59 UTC 2012

On 05/06/12 20:59, Andrea Venturoli wrote:

>> I've logged this failure upstream at
>> https://github.com/pkgtools/pkgtools/issues/27
>>
>> If you figure anything further out, before I fix it, please let me know.
>
> I'd gladly help.
> The way to go, IMHO,is to get additional logging; unfortunately I know
> nothing about Ruby.

I tried digging this up a little: the problem seems to arise in
portsdb.rb, in function "update", when the temp file is moved to
/usr/ports/INDEX-7 (or -8 or whatever).

>    if not system('/bin/mv', '-f', tmp, index_file)
>       STDERR.puts 'failed to overwrite #{index_file}!"'
>       raise IndexFileError, "index overwrite error"
>     end

Here index_file is nil.
If I replace index_file with "/usr/ports/INDEX-7" (again, or -8, or
whatever), everything works fine.
Unfortunately, I was not able to find out where that value should come
from and how to fix it.

  bye & Thanks
	av.