iSCSI for tape

Andrea Venturoli ml at netfence.it
Sun May 6 20:36:59 UTC 2012

Hello.

I've got a box with bacula-sd which should use a tape drive;
unfortunately, there's no physical space for such a drive on that box,
so I'm considering iSCSI to let it access a tape on another box.

Is this possible?

While doing some tests, I installed istgt on the target box (7.4/i386)
and I have this in /usr/local/etc/istgt/istgt.conf:
> [LogicalUnit1]
>   Comment "Pass-through Tape"
>   TargetName tape1
>   TargetAlias "Pass Through Tape"
>   Mapping PortalGroup1 InitiatorGroup1
>   AuthMethod CHAP
>   AuthGroup AuthGroup1
>   UnitType pass
>   LUN0 Device /dev/sa0

On the initianting box (9.0/amd64), I put the following in /etc/iscsi.conf:
> itape1 {
>   authMethod    =CHAP
>   chapIName     =xxxxxx
>   chapSecret    =yyyyyyyyyyyyy
>   initiatorname =zzzzz
>   TargetName    =jjjjj:tape1
>   TarrgetAddress=jjjjj:3260,1
> }

Now:
> # iscontrol -d -t jjjjj
> TargetName=jjjjj:tape1
> TargetAddress=a.b.c.d:3260,1
> #iscontrol -c /etc/iscsi.conf -n itape1 -t jjjjj&
> ls /dev/ | grep iscsi
> iscsi
> iscsi0
> # mt -f /dev/iscsi status
> mt: Device not configured
> # mt -f /dev/iscsi0 status
> mt: Inappropriate ioctl for device

Am I doing something wrong or is this not implemented?

  bye & Thanks
	av.