x11/slim env data gets lost

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Thu Mar 29 07:49:53 UTC 2012

On 3/26/2012 9:24 AM, Steve Frowly wrote:
> It's as if slim does not load /etc/login.conf

I like slim for its small size, but it doesn't play nice with a variety
of things (this is one of them). I solved the problem you described with
environment variables by actually including them in my .xsession file.
(In order to accommodate a variety of WMs my .xinitrc just calls
.xsession, so everything gets the same environment.)

Setting those things in .xsession isn't elegant, but it works, and
ensures that the WM/DE itself has the same basic stuff (such as PATH) as
my shells do.

hth,

Doug