_DEPENDS+= and make index speed

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Sun Mar 25 17:34:00 UTC 2012

On 25/03/2012 17:22, Michael Scheidell wrote:
> I don't think it  hurts anything but if you have a bunch of ports
> doing this, doesn't it have to slow down make index? The extra check
> for, reassign and cat an undefined var has to take more cpu than a
> strict assign, right or am I just nitpicking?

Unlikely to make a significant difference.  Most of the time in building
the INDEX is spent doing file IO -- opening all those Makefiles, and the
files they include, etc., ad nauseam. -- and then parsing the thousands
of lines of make code.  And then doing all over again for the next port.

Couple of assignments using += in a couple of port specific Makefiles
isn't much compared to that.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--