Port suggestion: REDUCE (math) is available under a BSD license

Pedro Giffuni pfg at FreeBSD.org
Sun Mar 18 02:05:01 UTC 2012

Hi;

I don't know why but I had this sudden memory of a classic algebra
system that I saw demoed in my University when I was a freshman.

Back then the software was installed in a VAX machine that, I was
told, had to be emptied just to get that package working. It was
a really nice package for doing symbolic math: it would understand
some irrational numbers and integrate or differentiate symbolically.
(OK my HP-28C did that too).

The name was REDUCE and I found it here:
http://reduce-algebra.com/

It uses it's own version of LISP (actually two versions) and while
it was commercial for a while it was mostly an academic thing.
Since 2008 the code is available under a BSD license:
http://reduce-algebra.sourceforge.net/

There are NetBSD and linux versions so it shouldn't be
difficult to port to FreeBSD. I will likely play with but JIC
something happens to me I left an entry in the WantedPorts
wiki ;).

Have fun!

Pedro.