Port system "problems"

Andrea Venturoli ml at netfence.it
Tue Jun 26 16:17:56 UTC 2012

On 06/26/12 16:34, Mark Felder wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Jun 2012 04:31:40 -0500, Andrea Venturoli <ml at netfence.it>
> wrote:
>

>> The "effort" will be 3x processing time for portupgrade (or whatever)
>> to update the package database 3 times as much as before.
>
> pkgng uses sqlite. Please provide proof that it is as slow or slower
> than our current package database is.

I cannot.
However I don't think that's the point.

A faster DB system with 3X records might perform better or worse than
current DB system with X records; even if the balance was positive, it
would still be slower than the new DB system with X records.
That is still a reason against splitting in the wild.

  bye
	av.

P.S.
I'd gladly try sqlite instead of the current pkgdb and see: is it
possible to switch without any side-effect or complication?