Port system "problems"

RW rwmaillists at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 26 15:21:00 UTC 2012

On Tue, 26 Jun 2012 13:31:01 +0100
Matthew Seaman wrote:

> What's different in the new scheme?
>
>   1 options dialogue
>   2 fetch & verify distfiles
>   3 extract
>   4 patch
>   5 configure
>   6 compile
>   7 install to staging directory tree ***
>   8 create packages, sub-packages ***
>   9 install packages and sub-packages as selected ***

> Whether the extra/different work done in stages 7, 8 and 9 will negate
> the savings from only doing stages 1-6 once remains to be seen.  My
> prediction is that mostly you'ld come out ahead, but whether you do,
> and by how much will vary significantly between individual ports.

It's not really worth looking at individual ports. It's the average on
major updates that really matters. In my experience most of he time
is spent building, and I just don't think that there all that much to be
gained in the compile stage.

The staging area is appealing in its own right. I'm less keen
on sub-packages which are going to break update tools. I think it's
very likely  that only portmaster would survive.