Port system "problems"

Andrea Venturoli ml at netfence.it
Tue Jun 26 09:31:54 UTC 2012

On 06/26/12 11:03, Matthew Seaman wrote:

> Yes, it will multiply the number of ports.  By three is about right,
> given that most ports will only have port-docs and port-examples
> sub-ports.  However, first of all, you are assuming that the effort
> required to install each of those sub-ports is the same as it is to
> install a single port now.  That is simply not the case.

Not exactly.
I still didn't get the details, so I might speak nonsense, however...

The "effort" will be 3x processing time for portupgrade (or whatever) to
update the package database 3 times as much as before.
I remember the big X.org split up: going from a few ports to tens of
them slowed down an installation/upgrade process by an order of
magnitude (or even more).

> A typical example would involve client-server apps -- so mysqlNN-server
> becomes a sub-port of mysqlNN-client.  You get to check a box saying
> 'install the server as well as the client' when you go to install
> mysqlNN.  Similarly all those php5-XYZ modules become sub-ports of
> lang/php5.

We had this in the past: a php-extension port with options to include
each extension or leave it out.
Each time we needed to add a missing extension, we needed to reconfigure
this port and rebuild all.
Now we have each extension in its own port and I think it's much better.
I just hope we don't get back to that.

What I anticipate will often happen is installing some port, finding out
that some part is missing, install the missing part, repeat that several
times.
I just hope I'm wrong (and again, it is at all possible that I am wrong
here).

  bye & Thanks
	av.