Port system "problems"

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jun 26 08:46:37 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 10:17:12AM +0200, Andrea Venturoli wrote:

> >> I hope, we are not talking about some Debian-like approach here (foo-bin,
> >> foo-dev, foo-doc, ....).
> >
> > Actually, yes -- that's pretty much exactly what we're talking about
> > here.  Why do you feel subpackages would be a bad thing?
>
> Can I share my 2c?
>
> Because it will just multiply be three the number of ports each of us
> has to install/maintain/upgrade/etc...

Not at all for a maintainer it will be the same has having multiple options,
because it will remain 1 port -> N packages

Most of the time the ports are already splitted in slave ports (samba, *sql*,
ldap etc), having them in a single port will simplify life of lots of
maintainers, and simplify the port code

regards,
Bapt