Port system "problems"

Thomas Mueller mueller23 at insightbb.com
Tue Jun 26 08:14:10 UTC 2012

Snippets from Jeremy Messenger <mezz.freebsd at gmail.com> ^ and Florent Peterschmitt <fpeterscom at gmail.com> > :

> 2. Why do we have to put WITH_NEW_XORG in /etc/make.conf to get it ? Why not
> put this var in a port configuration file which will be read by all ports
> needing this var ?

^ I am trying to figure out why it's hard to put the WITH_NEW_XORG in make.conf.

> 3. Why does GNOME really needs x11/yelp which depends on www/libxul, which
> is a big port to build ? I don't need yelp and I'm sure not to be alone
> don't need this.

^ The GNOME does need yelp when you go to the 'Help' menu. If I remove
^ the yelp then we WILL get a whine from you about that GNOME is broke
^ because the 'Help' menu doesn't work.

I was going to put WITH_NEW_XORG=YES
in /etc/make.conf .
Is that correct syntax?

I was bitten by lack of yelp last April when running Gnumeric for income tax calculations: help didn't work.
It ought to be a dependency in gnumeric or goffice, or at least optional.

Tom