Port system "problems"

Florent Peterschmitt fpeterscom at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 22:22:40 UTC 2012

Hello,

I'm not a developer and I know how it's difficult to make a port (or
some ports, for example VirtualBox) but I think the port system has many
"problems":

1. Ports are not modular
2. Option system is not really well documented
3. Some dependencies are totally useless
4. So slow...

Let me give some examples:

1. games/wesnoth should be splitted in games/wesnoth-bin and
games/wesnoth-datas. Why rebuild everything when just binaries needs ?
2. Why do we have to put WITH_NEW_XORG in /etc/make.conf to get it ? Why
not put this var in a port configuration file which will be read by all
ports needing this var ?
3. Why does GNOME really needs x11/yelp which depends on www/libxul,
which is a big port to build ? I don't need yelp and I'm sure not to be
alone don't need this.
4. Generating Index, find dependencies. I know that we have time and
that's not a priority, but it is slow.

I know that FreeBSD doesn't "change" because of "less surprising"
philosophy (and I'm the first to say it's a good thing, but sometimes
not so good), and also *BSD community is certainly less big than GNU
community...

Port system will have some major updates in the future ?