AW:Re: Linux binary looks for /proc/cpuinfo, dies when cannot be found, even when linprocfs mounted.

Mon Jun 25 12:52:48 UTC 2012

Hi,

while the problem seems to be fixed, I still want to comment on the chroot part: do not do this!

Linux_base is NOT designed to be used in a chroot. If you need to chroot,  use a linux_dist port. If someone uses chroot with linux_base, he will not get what he expects to get. The linux_base needs files from the native system (FS fall through from automatic linuxulator /compat/linux overlay on top of /).

Bye,
Alexander.

--
Send via an Android device, please forgive brevity and typographic and spelling errors.

Jason Hellenthal <jhellenthal at dataix.net> hat geschrieben:

On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 02:23:42PM +1200, Benjamin wrote:
> Hi all. I have posted this question on the forums, and it was suggested
> that I post it here.
>
> I am currently porting Altera Quartus II design software to FreeBSD. I
> have got it installing, but running the binary requires /proc/cpuinfo to
> exist, and it dies when it can't find it.
>
> I have both procfs and linprocfs mounted.
>
> As a workaround (read hack) I can do the following to make the binary
> execute.
>
> 1. unmount procfs.
> 2. symlink /compat/linux/proc/cpuinfo to /proc/cpuinfo
>
> Since this problem has no doubt come up before, what is the best way to
> get around this issue?

Run it in a chroot of /compat/linux instead ?

Might be best to just write a wrapper around the existing binary to
launch it with proper args etc... while chrooting it.

--