X11BASE still in use in ports

Eitan Adler lists at eitanadler.com
Sun Jun 24 18:06:23 UTC 2012

On 24 June 2012 03:46, Doug Barton <dougb at freebsd.org> wrote:
> I noticed a failure in one of my ports today while doing an upgrade, and
> was embarrassed to find that it was due to my port still using X11BASE.
> That led me to do a quick grep of the tree, which seems to indicate that
> there are a non-zero number of uses of it which seem to be erroneous:

When the patch was committed a exp-run was done. At the time any
errors found were either fixed or worked around (by manually adding a
X11BASE definition to the port's makefile).

> http://people.freebsd.org/~dougb/x11base-ports.txt
>
> Note, some of these are actually Ok, I haven't made an attempt to filter
> them out yet.
>
> Is there any interest in cleaning these up? Should we restore the
> definition of X11BASE until all of the ports that are using it are fixed?

I'd rather add it locally as a workaround to each port rather than add
it globally.

> I'm kind of surprised by this problem, since the usual way of removing
> something like this is to make sure all of the consumers have been fixed
> first.

Frankly, I'm surprised too, given that we (x11@) did search for
consumers of the variable.

--