painful process.. php53/etc

Michael Scheidell scheidell at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jun 22 14:52:11 UTC 2012

I needed to update php5(x)-gd (which needs png15).
problem is, the server has php5 (php5.3) installed, so in order to
upgrade php5 (5.3) to php53 (5.3), I looked in /usr/ports/UPDATING
(I didn't find my answer there, not sure why, I will look again, and add
some notes.)
I think the OFFICIAL version of what is supposed to happen is:

portmaster --list-origins > /tmp/pkgs
portmaster -r lang/php53 lang/php5
(ok, I am not really sure)

I did this:

cd /var/db/pkgs
renamed everything php5- to php53-
then
sed -i '' -e 's/php5/php53/g' /var/db/pkgs/*

then on to tinderbox to build php5-gd

woops, it sets dependency for php5 (5.4)
so, in tinderbox need to set DEFAULT_PHP_VER=53

then pecl-pdflib (which needs png15) need updating, and it sets php5
(5.4) as its dependency!
and joomla25, all need to be recompiled with DEFAULT_PHP_VER.

anyway we can just leave php5x like perl versions (many of them, on
default), like mysql-client*, python, etc?

just putting on very small update in has taken 4 hours.
(ps, web site never went down this way, it was running all through the
update process, sometimes important in todays world)

back to official updating in /usr/ports/UPDATING:  where did I miss the
updating instructions if you want to KEEP php53?

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
 >*| * SECNAP Network Security Corporation
d: +1.561.948.2259
w: http://people.freebsd.org/~scheidell