[CFT] UNIQUENAME patches

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jun 18 08:12:25 UTC 2012

On 17/06/2012 21:11, Mel Flynn wrote:

>> > And so you want to forbid + as a character for PORTNAME? So you would need to
>> > fix all the ports having a + in the name.

> No. Ports all have a version starting with a minus sign, yet we have
> ports with a minus sign in it. This is the same principle. The plus or
> whatever char you pick, should be the first one from the right side
> after the version part. What's in between the plus and the start of
> version is subpackage/childport name.

Deciding what character or characters to use to distinguish the sub-port
part of the package name from the rest is a particularly bikeshedable
point.  Virtually any of the punctuation on the keyboard could be used,
and it really won't make much difference in the end what gets chosen.
Personally I feel it should be the sole choice of the people that do the
work to implement sub-ports.

On the point of how UNIQUENAME should be defined, your arguments have
some merit, but I'm not convinced.  On balance, after considering such
points I preferred what I came up with (but then I would say that,
wouldn't I?)

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--