Building gimp-2.8

Ruslan Mahmatkhanov cvs-src at yandex.ru
Sun Jun 17 15:55:49 UTC 2012

Heino Tiedemann wrote on 16.06.2012 19:18:
> Ruslan Mahmatkhanov <cvs-src at yandex.ru> wrote:
>> There is a patch from Koop Mast, that updates gimp to 2.8 (and
>> gegl/babl too). But new gimp also requires more fresh atk and all of
>> this needs testing. I can't recall the link for kwm's patch, and will
>> not put one that I have somewhere, because there is possibility that
>> there is updated version of it. Koop, can you please post that patch
>> link here so the interested people can check it on their own?
>
> What about now - 3 weeks later? Is there any timeline for the actual
> gimp?
>
> Heino

It's not that easy as it was seemed to be. GIMP 2.8 requires following
at minimum to make it build in current ports tree:

devel/glib20           2.30.3
x11-toolkits/gtk20     2.24.10
accessibility/atk      2.2.0
x11/babl               0.1.10
graphics/gegl          0.2.0
graphics/gdk-pixbuf2   2.24.1
x11-toolkits/pango     1.29.4

So I'm afraid that gimp will not be updated until next major Gnome
components update (I'm not talking about Gnome3), because w/o that, any
gimp update patches are pointless.

Anyway, I'm hacked together a minimal set of updated ports for testing:
http://people.freebsd.org/~rm/gimp.tgz

Just download and unpack somewhere. Then remove the corresponding old
port directories (backing them up previously) from /usr/ports and copy
the new ports from gimp.tgz (do not copy them over existing ports -
there is local patches that should be removed first). Then do portmaster
-a and you done. You may use Gimp 2.8. To switch to single-window mode
enable checkbox in Windows -> Single-Window Mode. Everything is working
as usual to me after this update, so I believe that it's safe to bring
it to the main ports tree.

It is based on original Koop's gimp/gegl/babl patch and updated ports
from MarcusCom CVS. I added some changes too:

- rejects against the current tree fixed
- whitespace fixes
- plist fixes
- optionsng conversion
- x11/babl: fix introspection build (based on
   https://413663.bugs.gentoo.org/attachment.cgi?id=314203)

Please report back about any success/failures - this brings as closer to
get all this stuff in the official ports tree.

--
Regards,
Ruslan

Tinderboxing kills... the drives.