Xscreensaver conflicts

Kevin Oberman kob6558 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 22:47:53 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 6:22 AM, Lowell Gilbert
<freebsd-ports-local at be-well.ilk.org> wrote:
> Lars Eighner <portsuser at larseighner.com> writes:
>
>> xscreensaver-gnome-hacks will not install if xscreensaver is installed
>> ("write files to the same place")
>>
>> gnome requires xscreensaver-gnome-hacks
>>
>> kde4 requires xscreensaver
>>
>> It appears to me that if you force pkg_delete of xscreensaver and install
>> xscreensaver-gnome-hacks first, you can reinstall xscreensaver without
>> complaints.
>>
>> I grepped UPDATING for xscreensaver without any hits and do not find this
>> documented.  I suspect the conflicts line in the Makefile
>> xscreensave-gnome-hacks is not accurate.
>
> The pkg-plist files have a number of common entries, so my suspicion
> would be the opposite; that xscreensaver ought to have a corresponding
> CONFLICTS line.
>
> Gnome can be configured (by an option) to use xscreensaver, if I'm
> reading the Makefile correctly.

You are right. You may not install both xscreensaver and
xscreensaver-gnome-hacks. By default, gnome uses xscreensaver-gnome
which pulls in xscreensaver-gnome-hacks.  xscreensaver and
xscreensaver-gnome-hacks should both declare the other as  CONFLICTs.
They are slightly different flavors of the same thing.

This really should have been sent to gnome at . The folks there would
have probably confimed the situation immediately and, if they have a
commit bit, might have fixed it. Please open a PR for this so it will
be fixed.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558 at gmail.com