libpng.so.6 missing

Waitman Gobble uzimac at da3m0n8t3r.com
Tue Jun 12 05:07:25 UTC 2012

Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote ..
> On Mon, 11 Jun 2012, Waitman Gobble wrote:
>
> > I ran pkg_libchk and it looks like a whole boatload of packages need
> > to be replaced, so I decided to skip to the chase and give the update
> > script a 'replace' option.. it checks the package version available in
> > the packages directory on the freebsd site with what's installed, if
> > there's a newer version it downloads it and does the MD5 check,
> > creates an update.sh script to replace (the update script doesn't
> > actually do any udpating!) Anyhow, with 'replace' it will either
> > replace the existing or use the newer if available. I've been using
> > this script to update the system and it works pretty good for me,
> > except when I veer off path and get into ports like with my libpng
> > issue. :)
>
> There is a pkg_upgrade command in the bsdadminscripts, too.  However,
> pkgng will change all that soon.

Thanks, I tried pkgng a few months ago and it didn't seem to do updates... but I recall many updates on the mail list so I'm sure it's much different now, and works much better. I'll definitely check it out.

My update script fixed all problems with libpng,
I ran pkg_libchk to verify. I'm glad to know about pkg_libchk, that's a great way to see if there are issues.

My system is now working properly, yay.

It's really simple, it just looks at what is installed and compares to what's available on freebsd.org, and that's about it. The script does not care about dependencies or what's in ports, etc, which I suppose could be a bad thing. But I've had luck. In my mind the dependencies are already on the system and as long as it's not a major version change there are likely to be no issues. But I've found that (for example) deleting the 2.x pkgs and installing 3.x can cause problems.

I am not 100% sure I actually needed to 'reinstall' the packages - b/c it seems like it would essentially pull the same files with same dependencies i think..

Anyhow, I will take a look at the pkg_upgrade script, it would be good to have better automation, as I still have to go through the list of updates and manually mark the ones I don't want to mess with. For example, docbook.. it seems xfce (i think) pulls in like 5 different versions, so the update script gets confused about that.

Thanks for the help.

--
Waitman Gobble
San Jose California USA