libpng.so.6 missing

Kevin Oberman kob6558 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 06:12:11 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 10:52 PM, Michael Scheidell
<scheidell at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 6/11/12 1:44 AM, Waitman Gobble wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was reading the handbook about burning DVD's and thought I would check
>> out K3b as recommended... so I attempted to install from ports. After an
>> hour or so of the make script building a whole bunch of stuff my patience
>> wore out, and I bailed.
>>
>> ports tree csup this morning.
>>
>> Now it seems many things that were working great will no longer load, it's
>> missing libpng.so.6
>>
>> # SciTE
>> Shared object "libpng.so.6" not found, required by
>> "libpangocairo-1.0.so.0"
>>
>> # qtcreator
>> Shared object "libpng.so.6" not found, required by "libQtGui.so.4"
>>
>> # xxxterm
>> Shared object "libpng.so.6" not found, required by "libwebkitgtk-1.0.so.0"
>>

>> etc, etc. and so on.
>>
>> Anyhow, i am not sure which package 'libpng.so.6' comes from.. anyone have
>> a tip or a pointer?
>>
> something is still looking for an old version of png (libpng.so.6),  the new
> version of png uses lib: libpng.so.15.
> Did you rebuild all packages from source?
> quick 'cheat' would be to  restore libpng.so.6 to compat library from your
> backup, or another system.

Install sysutils/bsdadminscripts and 'pkg_chklib -o | grep libpng |
sort'. This will provide a list of ports that need to be re-installed
so that they will be linked to the new libpng. As pkg_chklib reports
on every file that references the old libpng, you may see ports listed
several times, once for every executable or shareable that references
libpng.so.6.

This will really fix the problem. Pulling in a copy of libpng.so.6
might make things work, but may fail if more than one version of
libpng is linked to different shareables or executables.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558 at gmail.com