Documenting 'make config' options

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sun Jun 10 00:54:44 UTC 2012

On Sat, 9 Jun 2012, Doug Barton wrote:

> On 06/06/2012 22:27, Dave Hayes wrote:
>> Personally, a 'pkg-options-descr' text file would suit me just fine.
>
> For those on -ports, the context is, "How do we provide more information
> about what the various options mean?" This idea seems reasonable to me,
> what do others think?

The user needs to know what the options mean when they appear, and
having to go look them up in another file is just another hassle.
Difficult to do in some situations, too.  Better to show them when the
user scrolls to that option.  Here's what I suggested in -stable:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2012-June/068187.html

No new files, only one copy of the descriptions so they don't get out of
sync.