firefox 13.0,1 needs lang/gcc46 -- to RUN?!

CyberLeo Kitsana cyberleo at cyberleo.net
Thu Jun 7 08:01:03 UTC 2012

On 06/06/2012 02:18 PM, Heino Tiedemann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Why this ports needs his compiler to RUN?!
>
> firefox 13.0,1

<snip>

> Required To Run: archivers/zip, lang/gcc46,...

Just a shot in the dark for lang/gcc46, I'd say it's because Firefox
dynamically links to a newer version of libgcc that is only available
when it is installed.

Its runtime dependency on archivers/zip can be explained by the fact
that Firefox now packs its hundreds of GUI files (chrome) into a giant
zip file (named omni.ja), for which it requires a zip library to read.

You're welcome to tweak the Makefile to remove the runtime dependency
and test it to see how badly it breaks; I've done the same to keep Perl
and Python off my embedded system images when installing glib et alia.
Glib only requires the languages for scripts used when compiling
software, which is unlikely to occur on an embedded system.

--
Fuzzy love,
-CyberLeo

Furry Peace! - http://wwww.fur.com/peace/