lang/gcc46 building stuff in $TMPDIR

Gerald Pfeifer gerald at pfeifer.com
Thu Jun 7 06:23:33 UTC 2012

On Wed, 6 Jun 2012, Doug Barton wrote:
> I purposely have a tiny /tmp, and while building gcc46 today it
> filled up with "stuff" from the gcc build. Is there any way to
> modify this process so that it keeps everything in WRKDIR?

GCC in general should put all its build stuff in WRKDIR and only
stash really temporary things (coming from an individual invocation
of GCC such as assembly files if any) in /tmp for short periods of
time.

I am not aware of anything we could do beyond what I already have
in the port, but then this is the first time I hear about this, in
the context of FreeBSD and also upstream.

Are you saying you actually noticed some leftovers in /tmp, or that
there "just" has been more at certain points in time than you would
expect?

Gerald