Shared object "libpng.so.6"

b. f. bf1783 at googlemail.com
Sun Jun 3 17:24:19 UTC 2012

On 6/3/12, Kevin Oberman <kob6558 at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> removed manually, if portmaster hasn't already done so.  Here it looks
>>> like your new build of kde3libs is sloppily linking against the old
>>> version of kde3libs that you still have installed, and which still
>>
>> Obviously I meant kdelibs3 in the above -- this is starting to make me
>> dizzy, too.
>
> At this point I have to think that it is not cairo that is the issue,
> but something cairo is depending on that is referencing libpng.so.6.

cairo was involved in Leslie's earlier problem, but it is not involved
in this one -- although the nature of the problem is similar. As I
wrote, now it appears that kdelibs3 is linked with the old png
library, and needs to be removed -- ironically, in order to rebuild
kdelibs3.

> What I normally would have suggested, but failed to do in this case
> because cairo seemed like the obvious culprit, was to install
> sysutils/bsdadminscripts and run 'pkg_libchk -o | grep png" to track
> down ports that still depend on the old libpng. It will take a few
> minutes to run.

That would be one way to prevent a recurrence of this kind of problem
(although not all possible problems) during the remainder of the
update.  Or he could just remove the present offender, and continue
with update, intervening again if necessary.

b.