[ GSOC ] Differences in shell behaviour

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jun 1 10:30:23 UTC 2012

On 05/31/2012 22:55, Alexander Pyhalov wrote:
> Hello.
>
> On 06/01/2012 05:47, Doug Barton wrote:
>> On 5/31/2012 12:21 PM, Alexander Pronin wrote:
>>> But, is it suitable to write sh script for 9.0, that does not work in
>>> 8.3?
>>
>> No. Our tools need to work in all supported versions of FreeBSD, which
>> at this time includes 7 as well.
>
> I see two points...
> First one is that parallel building is an optional feature wich can be
> made conditionally available for systems with $OSVERSION >= 900000.

Um, no. The question was asked, "Is it acceptable to do this?" and the
answer is, "No, it's not." One of the key virtues of the ports system is
that it runs on all supported versions of FreeBSD. There may be
individual _ports_ that don't work with some versions, but the
infrastructure itself needs to.

> The second one is the following. Is the difference in sh behavior
> intentional? Can it be considered a bug and thus the right thing is to
> fix it in FreeBSD 7/8? However, as it leads to difference in shell
> behavior, it can be undesirable.

It's still up in the air whether there has been identified a bug, or
even a difference, but hopefully Jilles can shed some light on any
actual differences in behavior between versions.