mutt 1.5 much slower than mutt 1.4

Matthias Andree mandree at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jul 24 21:00:40 UTC 2012

Am 24.07.2012 19:18, schrieb Anton Shterenlikht:
> mail/mutt is much slower on my amd64 and ia64
> -current boxes after it was updated from 1.4
> to 1.5. Each keystroke takes few seconds to
> act. Below is my mutt 1.5 config:

> Anybody else is seeing this behaviour?

Not here™ on amd64 9-stable -- which may have little relevance for
10-current.

> Any advice?

Any chance to figure out what mutt is doing, like with truss or similar?

Is debugging turned on; was mutt built WITH_DEBUG=yes?

Is the lag CPU-bound (near 100% CPU) and if yes, in system or in user
space, or is the lag IO-bound (near 100% wait)?

Can you verify the header cache databases, or move them away just for
the sake of the experiment?

Does it help if you "make clean" before building world?  This has cured
strance effects on occasions in -STABLE (RELENG_[6-9]) branches for me.