[CFT] editors/emacs to 24.1

Jan Henrik Sylvester me at janh.de
Mon Jul 23 11:32:38 UTC 2012

On 07/23/2012 10:04, Ashish SHUKLA wrote:
> Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

As you already know, it works! Thanks!

Specifically, I added 24.1 to bsd.emacs.mk, made it the default, and
removed all ports depending on emacs-23.4.

I installed print/auctex and java/jde (from the attic) depending on
devel/cedet and devel/elib, created packages, installed them on a
different machine, and ran Emacs. Everything ports related seems to work.

I do not know, if you (asking for any feedback) really want anecdotal
feedback about functionality, but here it is anyhow:

Arabic, which is finally displayed from right-to-left, works in windowed
mode, but for me, it does not work correctly with "-nw": While it is
displayed correctly in a LANG=en_US.UTF-8 Konsole (KDE terminal), the
order of the letters is changed just by moving the cursor through Arabic
text. I do not think this is a problem with the port, but either with my
setup or with emacs-24.1 in general.

auctex works including the Emacs server for forward and inverse search
with a PDF viewer. Unfortunately as a regression to auctex on
emacs-23.4, all buttons have labels and are really wide -- including the
"Separator". Hence, important buttons only show up in wide Emacs
windows. Anyhow, this is probably not a problem with the port, but a
problem with auctex, which has not made a release for over two years.

For my use, I would be happy, if emacs-24.1 was the default in ports, soon.

Thanks again,
Jan Henrik