How to remove erroneous deps from pkgng

Jason E. Hale bsdkaffee at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 11:59:30 UTC 2012

On Friday, July 20, 2012 23:35:10 Doug Barton wrote:
> Baptiste already volunteered to do an exp-run for this topic on Monday.
> If you don't have time to get your changes ready before then IMO we
> should go ahead with removing the line from bsd.gnome.mk. Making that
> correct fix now won't negatively affect your ability to make a
> different/better change later; but doing it now will give us more
> opportunity to see the results and fix any regressions.

The problem with simply removing

pkgconfig_RUN_DEPENDS=          pkg-config:${PORTSDIR}/devel/pkg-config

from bsd.gnome.mk is that there are ports that indirectly depend on pkg-config
for their build through other ports that directly depend on it since it has
just been a runtime dependency.  I know there are quite a few KDE ports like
that.

To explain better, x11/kdelibs4 has USE_GNOME=pkgconfig, but some ports that
depend on kdelibs4 and require pkg-config for their build are not currently
defining USE_GNOME=pkgconfig since it is assumed that pkg-config is installed.
A direct dependency for pkg-config would need to be added to all of those
ports.

I think there would be a lot less breakage if the line in bsd.gnome.mk were
left in for now and we migrated over to the pkgconfig:build/run scheme.

Jason E. Hale
KDE/FreeBSD Team