[HEADS-UP] CVS commit mails from ports

Beat Gaetzi beat at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jul 18 06:48:12 UTC 2012

Hi Peter,

2012/7/18 Peter Jeremy <peter at rulingia.com>:
> Thank you for your efforts in migrating the ports repository.
>
> On 2012-Jul-16 15:22:13 +0200, Beat Gaetzi <beat at freebsd.org> wrote:
>>The ports tree switched to Subversion this weekend. CVS commit mails
>>will be turned off soon. If you like to receive the ports commit mails
>>from Subversion please subscribe to svn-ports-all@ or svn-ports-head at .
>
> I think this could have been handled a bit better.  By "turned off
> soon", I would have expected a couple of days to allow people to read
> this mail and take some action.  Instead, the mails were disabled by
> simon@ 7 hours after this mail.
>
> IMHO, the src list migration was handled more cleanly - peter@ just
> copied the cvs-all and cvs-src list members over to svn-src-all and
> shortly after, created a cvs-src-old to allow people time to convert
> any scripts that processed CVS commits.  See
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/cvs-all/2008-October/273101.html
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/cvs-all/2008-October/273112.html

I'm sorry for the trouble. The cvs-all list is marked as obsolete and
has the corresponding header:
"**OBSOLETE** subscribe to svn-src-all and the individual cvs-ports/etc
lists instead! This list will go away in on or after 14th october, 2008."

As several people reported that they get the commit mails twice (from
cvs-all@ and one of the svn lists) and the list was marked as obsolete
I decided to stop the mailer from CVS.

Beat