maintainer timeout for FreeBSD commiters

Michael Scheidell scheidell at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jul 17 11:55:08 UTC 2012

On 7/17/12 7:41 AM, Radim Kolar wrote:

>> We *are* making progress in cutting through the backlog though.
> ports have about 900 open PR. Why it does not have more port
> commiters? Its difficult to recruit new person?
The answer to that is very complex.
And, for each PR, maybe a different answer.

for some, there is no maintainer (owned by ports@), you are more than
welcome to look through the list of ports owned by port@ and adopt a
couple hundred of them.

For some, the submitter reported a problem, some problems are upstream,
some the submitter.

For some, the attached patch does not follow FreeBSD ports guidelines,
and until (someone) rewrites it, it just sites.

some are suspended waiting on other pr's.

So, for each of those open pr's, there is, most likely, different answers.

I have (4 or 5?) pr's open, waiting on feedback from submitters or
maintainers.  If a patch was attached, and the port builds, ant it times
out, I'll commit it.

So, you want to help?  adopt a couple hundreds ports, learn the system,
make good patches, and in doing so, you will quickly find out what a lot
of these are just sitting there.

Michael Scheidell, CTO
 >*| * SECNAP Network Security Corporation
d: +1.561.948.2259
w: http://people.freebsd.org/~scheidell