Rebuilding png and perl without rebuilding a whole lot of ports twice

Thomas Mueller mueller23 at insightbb.com
Tue Jul 17 08:33:38 UTC 2012

> > Then, from UPDATING file, I could do either

> > portmaster p5-

> I specifically recommend not doing that, as you'll end up with stuff
> that's mixed between the old and new versions, which can cause problems.

> > Maybe I could combine these as

> > portmaster -r png- -r perl-

> > Would that work right?

> Reading the man page can answer that question for you. :)

> Doug

Yes, I read the man page many times, not only portmaster and pkg_info but also csh (which is the same as man tcsh) and sh, looking for "for" command.

In tcsh, I found "foreach" but not "for", but found "for" command in sh.

My worry is rebuilding hplip, gnash, swfdec, seamonkey, xorg-server and some other big ports twice each.  I have Sandy Bridge system and want to try the new xorg-server with KMS.

I hope "portmaster -r png- -r perl-" wouldn't rebuild ports with png- and then again with perl- .

FreeBSD users tend to trust UPDATING file, so if "portmaster p5-" doesn't work well, it ought to be corrected.

Tom