Rebuilding png and perl without rebuilding a whole lot of ports twice

Thomas Mueller mueller23 at insightbb.com
Tue Jul 17 04:42:33 UTC 2012

from RW <rwmaillists at googlemail.com>:

> Portupgrade and portmanager can do this - I don't know about
> portmaster. In portupgrade it would be:

> portupgrade -rf perl png

> portmanager automatically builds ports that depend on out of date ports.

I would first need to

portmaster -o lang/perl5.16 lang/perl5.14

Not sure if category is necessary with portmaster, but portupgrade never worked for me without the category, thus

portupgrade graphics/png would work, but not
portupgrade png

Then, from UPDATING file, I could do either

portmaster p5-  (conservative) or

portmaster -r perl-  (comprehensive, but possibly overkill).

I would also need

portmaster -r png-

Maybe I could combine these as

portmaster -r png- -r perl-

Would that work right?

In my original post, I mentioned that I wanted to upgrade some ports for reasons other than compatibility with the newer png and perl.

Reasons included printing on recalcitrant HP printer (hplip) and getting multimedia to work right on more things (gnash, ffmpeg, vlc).

Tom