[HEADSUP & CFT] pkg 1.0rc1 and schedule

Jeremy Messenger mezz.freebsd at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 04:22:40 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 10:32 PM, Peter Jeremy <peter at rulingia.com> wrote:
> On 2012-Jul-12 10:01:10 +0000, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt at freebsd.org> wrote:
>>What is pkg
>>-----------
>>pkg is a new package manager for FreeBSD. It is designed as a replacement for
>>the pkg_* tools, and as a full featured binary package manager.
>
> A couple of specific questions that I haven't seen answered during
> this thread or in the wiki:
> - Can pkgng cope with parallel installs?  What happpens if I
>   simultaneously (attempt to) install conflicting packages?

IMO, the parallel install shouldn't be supported for that exactly
reason. Not only that reason, it makes the dependencies get complicate
too.

> - If I use "pkg delete -f", what happens to packages that depended
>   on the forcibly-deleted package?
> - What happens if I delete a package where I've modified one of the
>   files managed by the package?
> - What facilities does it have for auditing and repairing the package
>   database? (ie checking for inconsistencies between installed files
>   and the content of the package database)
> - How does it handle the situation where I install a package that
>   depends on foo version 1.2.3 but have foo version 1.2.4 (or 1.2.2)
>   installed?  What about if I have bar version 1.3, which is ABI-
>   compatible with foo version 1.2.3, installed?

It's one of reason why I do not agree to remove the shared library
version from the LIB_DEPENDS, so that way in future someone can add
support in the package to check on shared library version then prevent
package to install because it's not ABI compatible. Unless someone
prefer to do it in the different way than putting shared library
version in the LIB_DEPENDS is good to me either.

Cheers,
Mezz

--
mezz.freebsd at gmail.com - mezz at FreeBSD.org