[HEADS UP] Ports tree migration to Subversion

Thomas Mueller mueller23 at insightbb.com
Mon Jul 9 03:05:37 UTC 2012

On 07/08/2012 17:21, Thomas Abthorpe wrote:
> there will be a means to do checkouts over http

Doug Barton responded:

> Anonymous users can also use the svn protocol.

Does that mean svn will be brought into the base system as cvs, csup and portsnap already are?  (I hope so)

Currently I use portsnap for the ports tree and csup for base-system source and doc (/usr/src and /usr/doc).

I believe cvs is still the primary checkout and update method with NetBSD for base-system source and pkgsrc.

Pkgsrc is NetBSD's version of FreeBSD ports framework but also ported to other, mostly (quasi-)Unix OSes including even FreeBSD.

I am not prepared to advise for or against using NetBSD pkgsrc with FreeBSD, but the possibility is there; I haven't tried it (yet).

I am also not sufficiently familiar with the internals of cvs and svn to say which is better and why (or git or mercurial for that matter).

Tom