Patching files after install?

Michael Scheidell scheidell at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jul 1 11:32:01 UTC 2012

On 7/1/12 1:07 AM, Benjamin wrote:
> I am nearing the end of my first ever port, Altera Quartus II design
> software, to FreeBSD. Not so much of a "port" however, as it is just a
> big archive of Linux binaries, libraries and scripts.
>
> I have a question regarding one of these scripts. Every binary
> installed by this program has an associated shell script wrapper that
> sets up paths, and checks the environment. They currently fail when
> they can't find SSE extensions because they are looking for
> /proc/cpuinfo. That's fine I have amended the script, but by which
> mechanism do I include this amended script in the port?
>
> It is not really a patch, because it is applied *after* the install.
> At the moment I am just doing:
is there any reason you didn't path the source? that is done normally.
and by PATCHDIR, you mean the already defined '${FILESDIR}' ?

> post-install:
>     @${PATCH} $(PREFIX)/altera/quartus/adm/qenv.sh ${PATCHDIR}/qenv.patch
>
> Is this the correct way to do it? Is it customary to have random files
> lying around in files/ that are not source code patches?
its always better to patch the source, (file named
'patch-dir__subdir__filename.ext) and let the ports subsystem take care
of it.

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
 >*| * SECNAP Network Security Corporation
d: +1.561.948.2259
w: http://people.freebsd.org/~scheidell