[HEADSUP][CFT] pkgng beta1 is out

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Tue Jan 31 08:38:48 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 08:39:30AM +0100, n j wrote:
> This question is probably not related to this announcement, but I
> wonder if this change (pkg_* --> pkgng) will result in increased
> number of available binary packages in the repositories

Absolute number, no.  Speed of availability, possibly.

The main determinant of the latter has been processor horsepower
available to us.  This was greatly increased in 2011 due to both
hardware donations, and hardware purchases by the FreeBSD Foundation.

I am hopeful that 2012 will finally show the fruits of the work
that was done in 2011.

mcl