Correcting problems disclosed by pkg_libchk

Kevin Oberman kob6558 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 23:14:56 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 5:02 AM, Carmel <carmel_ny at hotmail.com> wrote:

> On another thread I noticed a reference to "pkg_libchk". I was
> interested in seeing what it would disclose on my system, so I ran it.
>
> pkg_libchk -Rrv
>
> It produced a great deal of output. This is one section dealing with
> "Firefox"
>
> firefox-9.0.1,1: located:
> /usr/local/lib/firefox/components/libbrowsercomps.so misses libmozalloc.so
> found at /usr/local/lib/firefox/libmozalloc.so.
> firefox-9.0.1,1: located:
> /usr/local/lib/firefox/components/libdbusservice.so misses libmozalloc.so
> found at /usr/local/lib/firefox/libmozalloc.so.
> firefox-9.0.1,1: located: /usr/local/lib/firefox/components/libmozgnome.so
> misses libmozalloc.so found at /usr/local/lib/firefox/libmozalloc.so.
> firefox-9.0.1,1: located: /usr/local/lib/firefox/firefox-bin misses
> libmozalloc.so found at /usr/local/lib/firefox/libmozalloc.so.
> firefox-9.0.1,1: located: /usr/local/lib/firefox/libsoftokn3.so misses
> libmozsqlite3.so found at /usr/local/lib/firefox/libmozsqlite3.so.
> firefox-9.0.1,1: located: /usr/local/lib/firefox/libxpcom.so misses
> libmozalloc.so found at /usr/local/lib/firefox/libmozalloc.so.
> firefox-9.0.1,1: located: /usr/local/lib/firefox/libxul.so misses
> libmozsqlite3.so found at /usr/local/lib/firefox/libmozsqlite3.so.
> firefox-9.0.1,1: located: /usr/local/lib/firefox/libxul.so misses
> libmozalloc.so found at /usr/local/lib/firefox/libmozalloc.so.
> firefox-9.0.1,1: located: /usr/local/lib/firefox/plugin-container misses
> libmozalloc.so found at /usr/local/lib/firefox/libmozalloc.so.
> firefox-9.0.1,1: located: /usr/local/lib/firefox/sdk/lib/libxpcom.so
> misses libmozalloc.so found at /usr/local/lib/firefox/libmozalloc.so.
> firefox-9.0.1,1: located: /usr/local/lib/firefox/sdk/lib/libxul.so misses
> libmozsqlite3.so found at /usr/local/lib/firefox/libmozsqlite3.so.
> firefox-9.0.1,1: located: /usr/local/lib/firefox/sdk/lib/libxul.so misses
> libmozalloc.so found at /usr/local/lib/firefox/libmozalloc.so.
>
> If I am reading this correctly, the libmozalloc.so library is missing. I
> have tried doing a forced re-install of Firefox, but the same condition
> exists. Other packages have several libraries apparently missing also.
> Since re-installing the port does not seem to alleviate the problem,
> what is the prescribed method of correcting it?
>
> Thanks!

No, it is telling you that the files listed seem to miss the libraries
re[ported, but that they were found in /usr/local/lib/firefox. Firefox does
its own thing for finding its sharable libs, so /usr/local/lib/firefox is
not in the loader hint, but firefox knows where they are and does load
them. this is a side effect of -v. You asked for false positives and you
got them.

Oh, and specifying -R or -r is only relevant when a specific port is
listed. 'pkg_libchk -Rrv' does nothing more than just 'pkg_libchk -v'.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558 at gmail.com