Perl symlinks question

Julien Laffaye jlaffaye at freebsd.org
Mon Jan 9 19:50:59 UTC 2012

On 1/9/2012 8:42 PM, Eitan Adler wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 2:36 PM, Ruslan Mahmatkhanov<cvs-src at yandex.ru>  wrote:
>> Eitan Adler wrote on 09.01.2012 23:32:

>>> /usr/bin is in LOCALBASE which may be read only.
>>
>> Ok, but if so most part of ports tree will not build on such systems,
>> because automake tools (aclocal in particular) calling /usr/bin/perl.
> The option should remain on by default due to the majority use case,
> but elimination the option is a bad idea. Users should not have to
> hack ports to use a readonly LOCALBASE.

Last time I installed perl with /usr/bin readonly (ezjail) it failed
silently to create the symlink so there is really no reason to switch
this option off.
That's why, I would also go for option 2/

If you have a readonly /usr/bin, it is the job of your administrator
(that'd be you!) to create the symlink.