redports.org - The public FreeBSD ports development infrastructure

Greg Larkin glarkin at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jan 4 18:21:04 UTC 2012

On 1/4/12 3:07 AM, Bernhard Froehlich wrote:
> On 03.01.2012 22:32, Greg Larkin wrote:
>>
>> On 12/29/11 6:44 AM, Bernhard Froehlich wrote:
>>> Hi Porters!
>>>
>>> I am happy to announce that redports.org has finally
>>> reached the point where I think It's safe to be used
>>> by everybody! In case you never heard of it before
>>> redports is the result of an idea born at EuroBSDCon
>>> 2011 in Karlsruhe to give Port Maintainers and Port
>>> Committers a public service to test their new ports
>>> or ports patches during development or before
>>> submitting a ports PR.
>>>
>> [...]
>>
>> Wow!  Stellar job, Bernhard, and I'm looking forward to using
>> redports.org for fixing ports that are broken under clang.
>
> Hope you don't want to do that today because during the night the
> current building machine paniced and needs someone power cycling
> it. I will do this in the evening so no builds today :(
>
> It looks like I could get some hardware from portmgr so
> hopefully more hardware and redundancy is available soon.
>
>> I noticed one minor typo on https://redports.org/buildgroups:
>> automaticaly -> automatically
>
> Thanks, it's fixed now!

Hi again Bernhard,

It looks like ports are building fine now.  As I was building the first
port on your system, I thought of an enhancement, and I am interested to
know how difficult it would be to implement.

I maintain various p5- and py- ports, and I often want to test them
under multiple versions of Perl and Python, in case there are
conditional behaviors in the Makefile.

Assuming you're not planning on allowing users to create their own
builds, what about adding the ability to set build variables in a
make.conf file?  For instance, if I commit etc/make.conf to my personal
repository location, redports would overlay my options before starting
the build.  Then I could do things like force Python version 2.7, Perl
version 5.10, etc.

What do you think?

Thank you,
Greg