Java Heap Space out of memory error Tomcat6 port

George Liaskos geo.liaskos at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 17:12:04 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 3:34 PM, Kaya Saman <kayasaman at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running FreeBSD 8.2 x64 edition with 4GB RAM on a quad core machine.
>

> I keep getting this error:
>
> umbers=0&rev=11.1" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
> Exception in thread "http-8180-Acceptor-0" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java
> heap space
>

> and essentially due to it my webapp will simply die and not work - which is
> actually xwiki.
>

> In order to rectify the situation with the help of some Google'ing I added
> this to my Catalina.sh file:
>

> JAVA_OPTS=-Xmx1024m
> JAVA_OPTS=-Xms1024m
> #JAVA_OPTS=-XX:PermSize=64M
> #JAVA_OPTS=-XX:MaxPermSize=256m
>

> However, as I found out early this morning, it didn't work I had the same
> issue.
>

> I have asked on the xwiki mailing list for any advice but it seems the guys
> there are all Linux users and can't really help me out much although they
> suggested to use:
>
> CATALINA_OPTS instead of JAVA_OPTS.
>

> I have tried that and although it's still too early to tell what is going on
> since the last restart was only a few hours ago but I thought I'd just
> quickly ask here and see what could be done as CATALINA_OPTS and JAVA_OPTS
> seem to be more or less the same with JAVA_OPTS also being used at Tomcat
> stop as well as start.
>
> The odd thing is that I have tested the same webapp and DB combo on a
> PowerMac G4 running PPC edition of Fedora 11 which on a 733MHz machine with
> 384MB RAM did work fine for over a week if not a little slow.
>
> I also tested on Nexenta Core 3 (OpenSolaris) running Glassfishv3 on a VM
> inside my notebook with 2GB dedicated RAM and that was up for several months
> even though really slow again - a while back.
>

> Can anyone help me with figuring this out??
>

> I mean I'm not even using swap space on my machine so it definitely has not
> run out of memory. It seems a Java option somewhere but I have no idea where
> or what.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Kaya

Hello,

Try to set tomcat6_java_opts in your rc.conf, the rc script lists the
available configuration options. I have the following in my home
server:

tomcat55_java_opts="-Djava.awt.headless=true -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8
-server -Xms1536m -Xmx1536m -XX:NewSize=256m -XX:MaxNewSize=256m
-XX:PermSize=256m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m -XX:+DisableExplicitGC"