portupgrade -> portmaster Rosetta Stone?

Michael Scheidell scheidell at FreeBSD.org
Sun Feb 26 18:45:14 UTC 2012

On 2/26/12 11:34 AM, Arno J. Klaassen wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I used to do (in bash root-shell) :
>
>   # BATCH=yes http_proxy=http://1.2.3.4:5
>   [ ... ] portupgrade -R foo
>

> this doesn't seem to work in portmaster (nor does defining BATCH=yes
> in /etc/make.conf ).

new user of portmaster, and I hope my answer isn't just making noise.
I mostly use it on remote systems without a ports tree or source to pull
in pre-compiled packages, so maybe I don't have anything intellegent to say.
(made in a tinderbox, with env variables in ../tb/scripts/env/etc).

I do think I like portmaster more than portupgrade.  it was kinda funny
watching what happens with portupgrade when you upgraded ruby :-)

and, trying to keep pkgdb -Fa/-Fu, -Fuped in sync was maddening.

anyway, back to your issue.

'man portmaster' shows this option (which was an option to portupgrade
as well:

[-m arguments for make]

so, maybe

portupgrade -R foo -m'BATCH=yes http_proxy=http://1.2.3.4:5'

(if you have more than one env variable you might need the single quotes)

I remember interesting things I needed to do with  the -m in portupgrade also,
don't remember if just '-m-DBATCH' or '-mBATCH=yes' was right.

Also, surprised  that env in make.conf didn't do it.

one more experiment (I have not tried).. what about /usr/local/etc/portmaster.rc?

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
 >*| * SECNAP Network Security Corporation
d: +1.561.948.2259
w: http://people.freebsd.org/~scheidell