How to create 2 versions of a port

Fbsd8 fbsd8 at a1poweruser.com
Fri Feb 10 05:37:26 UTC 2012

I maintain a port that accesses the release distribution files. Now with
9.0 having a different path /i386/i386 and the files being compressed
first with tar and then again with xz I need to change the port to
access the new layout and file format.

I would like to leave the current version in the ports as is which works
fine with the 8.x world and add a second version that only works with
9.0 and newer.

Question is how do i change the port description of the current port to
say it supports 8.x with out re-adding the complete port again?

I know I have to add the new port version that supports ge 9.0.