CFT: vlc 2.0.5

Jeffrey Bouquet jeffreybouquet at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 23 03:48:38 UTC 2012

--- On Fri, 12/21/12, Kevin Oberman <kob6558 at gmail.com> wrote:

From: Kevin Oberman <kob6558 at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: CFT: vlc 2.0.5
To: "Juergen Lock" <nox at jelal.kn-bremen.de>
Cc: freebsd-multimedia at freebsd.org, "René Ladan" <rene at freebsd.org>, freebsd-ports at freebsd.org
Date: Friday, December 21, 2012, 6:53 PM

On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 1:38 PM, Juergen Lock <nox at jelal.kn-bremen.de> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 09:18:03PM +0100, René Ladan wrote:
>> On 19-12-2012 22:44, Juergen Lock wrote:
>> > Hi!
>> >
>> >  It's this time again, there's a new vlc release out and I want to update
>> > the port:
>> >
>> >     http://people.freebsd.org/~nox/tmp/vlc-2.0.5-001.patch
>> >
>> >  Everyone is invited to test this update and post any issues they find...
>> >
>> A quick test with an online mp3 stream works fine, but I do get this
>> message in the console:
>>
>> VLC media player 2.0.5 Twoflower (revision 2.0.5-0-g1661b7d)
>>
>> Unable to load library icui18n "Cannot load library icui18n: (Shared
>> object "libicui18n.so.48" not found, required by "vlc")"
>>
>> I have icu-50.1 installed, although the port does not seem to use it.
>> So maybe it is triggered by some dependency.
>
> I don't get that here so yes it's probably a problem in a dependency.

Sorry for those who have seen this in other threads.

To find and fix these issues:
Install sysutils/bsdadmonscripts (If you use pkgng, pleaqse be sure
that you have the latest version!)
# pkg_libchk -o | grep libicu | cut -f1 -d: | sort | uniq > somefile
# portmaster -D `cat somefile`

This will update all ports that are still linked to the old icu
libraries. This should be a very short list as only a handful of ports
link directly to these libraries. Many more depend on these ports, but
don't directly link to libicu sharables and don't need re-building.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558 at gmail.com

This email prompted me to run the suggested tool, which found a great many ports linked against older libraries (yay!). So I thought I could diff that list
against a list of the build-depends-list in the ports I've tried that don't build.  Got
a bit more experienced with awk, but ran out of time to craft a final solution in
favor of one which takes much less time.  To apply part of that procedure to
this instance, perhaps run the X-dependent binary at the command line o/o X,
and it will show directly which port or library might actually need rebuilding.
Found a slew of ports (gnome) to rebuild (from pcre) that way, when they
nominally might have been missed.  (It also may prevent the rebuild of  a
binary which may still vaguely fail after is rebuild, but fixing directly the
dependency may fix more than just the primary port, providing even greater
direct fix(es).

May or may not apply in this case, though (I've not vlc installed any longer).