[RFC/HEADSUP] portmaster default -w (preserve shared libraries)

Chris Rees utisoft at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 17:04:40 UTC 2012

On 11 Dec 2012 16:44, "Alex Dupre" <ale at freebsd.org> wrote:

> Jeremy Messenger ha scritto:
>
> >> Absolutely yes from me. The -w option is real lifesaver and should be
> >> on by default.
> >
> > I disagree. The -w is a temp fix and not a correct solution, so it
> > shouldn't be default.
>
> I agree with your disagreement :-)

I get what you're saying, but please consider which is easier to reverse-
deleting an accidentally saved library, or restoring an accidentally
deleted library?

Defaults should be safe.  I was bitten by this with pcre- sometimes we
can't update all our ports at one time.

How isn't it correct?  We still keep src libraries around until we make
delete-old-libs.  Why should ports be different?

Chris