pkgng: sqlite: database is locked

Mathias Picker Mathias.Picker at virtual-earth.de
Tue Dec 11 14:36:54 UTC 2012

I'm getting sqlite: database is locked errors with pkg. For deinstalls
(portmaster updates) and fresh port installs with make install. The
latest is

===>   Registering installation for MuSE-0.9.2_14
Installing MuSE-0.9.2_14... done
pkg: sqlite: database is locked

which results in muse not being registered in the pkg database...

How can I investigate this further? This persists between reboots, and
for fresh pkg runs.

I'm hesitating to upgrade all the changes after the ports freeze has
been lifted...

I'm using a FreeBSD-stable and have changed to pkgng maybe two weeks
ago. At the first portmaster -a after the upgrade, I think everything
went smooth, and then more and more of these errors popped up.
Everything is build using gcc.

mp# uname -a
FreeBSD mp.virtual-earth.de 9.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 9.1-PRERELEASE #28
r243882: Wed Dec  5 18:28:39 CET 2012
mathiasp at mp.virtual-earth.de:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

mp# pkg -v
1.0.3